Ruins Park

Ruins of St. Mary’s Church. Photo: Mikaela Honkala.

The Ruins Park is located in Old Vaasa at the end of Torikatu. The park is a lawn-covered, open area whose dominant and most important attraction is the site’s ruins. In addition to the lawn and the ruins, the landscape is punctuated by the area’s varied terrain and large birch trees that frame the views. The park is very popular in summer as a walking area and in winter for sledding. The background of the ruins area is formed by the trees, avenues and small groves of the adjacent Station Park; towards Kauppiaankatu the view of the ruins is open. When arriving by car, it is recommended to approach the Ruins Park from the parking area south of Kauppiaankatu. At the edge of the parking lot, opposite the view of the ruins, you can also find an information sign about the area’s history.

After the Vaasa fire of 1852, only the ruins of St. Mary’s Church, the bell tower, the trivial school, and the town hall remained in this area. A park area was formed around them, and at the same time that Johan Konrad Kornman, the chief gardener of the state railways, planned the Station Park in 1909, he also drew up a plan for the entire ruins area. Only a stone-enclosed yard around St. Mary’s Church was realised from the plan. A large amount of soil was removed from in front of the trivial school in the 1890s for the foundations of the Vaskiluoto railway embankment.

The ruins area is an impressive sight at any time of year, since its main attraction is the ruins, which stand out clearly against both the green of summer and the white background of winter. In terms of vegetation, there is nothing particular to see in the Ruins Park, but the park has a very distinctive atmosphere and is definitely worth a visit even in winter with a sled.